Thursday, June 16, 2011

Fate - Amanda Hocking (Book 2 My Blood Approves Series)

Fate - the second installment in the My Blood Approves series...
(Buy it HERE)

Alice Bonham thinks she's finally found a balance in her life between the supernatural and real life with her brother Milo. Jack - her sorta vampire boyfriend - keeps her at arm's length to keep her safe. As for his brother Peter... she's not sure where he's at, or what he wants with her. Worse still, she's not even sure what she wants with Peter.

When tragedy happens, Alice finds herself struggling with a terrible choice. Her decision has consequences that reach farther than she'd ever imagined...

Ok I have to just start with I did lose a nights sleep for this book, with that being said let say some good things and some disappointing things. (As always I will try not to post any spoilers)

Positive side: Why am I drawn so much to this series? In all honestly its not wonderfully written or extremely original (as all the orginal ideas were never fully explored). After some thought about it, it boiled down to some different things. One would be the hope for something more. I had hoped that the story would turn and give me what I wanted, but honestly that was just a small portion. The love story isn't over the top or corny, while some points to angsty, it was sweet and some what realistic. There was serveral times in the book I wanted to reach out and slap someone. And I would say out loud "really you're going to put up with that?!" If a book can make you feel by going through a ton emotions, it's worth the read. This one does. The charcters are warm, loving, frustrating, and real. Ezra and Mae are the parental figures that everyone would want, vamp or not. Their love is very obvious, and is the best explanation to the soulmate issue. Peter while not in the book a lot is the dark, brooding hero that most girls fall for. Milo is truly cute and you can see where the role reversal may take place. The story is good, and solid for the most part as a whole. There is no big baddie, but just a girl and her life with a few twists thrown in.

Negative Side: So we continue with Alice and the love triangle that appeared in Book 1. Let me just state that this is what drew me to the series with its uniqueness, but ultimately it was very disappointing and a bit confusing. Without saying to much, the potential of this stoy line was never really explained to my satisfaction but rather became a background issue, that was explained away by the end of the book. Several events in this book made me say "ok where did that come from?" and left me with it was outta left field feeling. I was very intrigued by the notion that somehow Alice had been made for Peter, but the explanation was lacking. It really does just left you pretty much confused. Alice in some aspects does become very Bella like becoming too dependent on her other half for her happiness, this does get more annoying as the time progresses. It would be nice to see a heroine that is like "ok then I'm gonna do this and see if later I have time for you since you didn't have time for me" sorta thing, instead of her pining away at the thought of being alone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

*All images and content on OnyxHikari's Blog are the personal property of OnyxHikari or are readily available on the Internet and believed to be in public domain. Images posted are believed to be published according to the U.S. Copyright Fair Use Act (title 17, U.S. Code.) Copyright © 2011 OnyxHikari (basically don't steal my pictures or content) Blog for entertainment use only.