Thursday, June 16, 2011

Flutter - Amanda Hocking (Book 3 My Blood Approves Series)

Flutter - the third book in the My Blood Approves series...
(Buy it HERE)

Being undead doesn't make life any easier for Alice Bonham.

Her younger brother's love life is heating up, while hers is... more complicated. Mae is falling apart, her best friend Jane is addicted to vampire bites, and if Alice doesn't get her bloodlust under control, someone will end up dead.

Alice volunteers for a rescue mission with Ezra. But going up against a pack of rabid vampires might be too much, even for him.

I would be lying if I didn't say that this book did bore me in some places so I skimmed over it. Sometimes it's just gets bit redundant. After some major turn points in the second book we are left in the third. There are some major turn points or sub plots in this book that I felt again that should have been expanded just a bit more and possibly made into separate books themselves. Too much is happening to fast for it to be able to flow smoothly in the book. Always the underlying thing is the couple or triangle depending the way you look at it. But what this also does is keep the person turning the page to see what is going to happen next. That is a good thing. I wanted to find out more and so I kept reading. In this book I have to say that while the sub plots added to the book, I found that some of the characters I fell in love with disappointed me with decisions they made. While in a "vampire's" perspective nothing lasts forever, the decision that was made seem out of the blue for me. While I can understand the context or the reasoning in a way, I can't say I loved the point. I was left heartbroken. While at the same time left astonished at the restrictions placed on Alice (with no real reason to the why) while her brother had NONE and seem to have progressed past the stage she was at, despite the fact that she was older. In some instances I found it completely unfair, unwarranted and bias. But that's a good thing. Because if a book can make you feel that way, then the author is doing his/her job. But at times I was left with that "huh, I don't get it" feeling I experience in this series lately. The explanations are half - explanations at best. While the author is still growing, I give her props for creating a page turner.

**PERSONAL NOTE: It is my own opinion that some aspects should have been more fully explored. It seems that she has a ton of interesting ideas and is very talented, I feel she could have expanded the story line a bit more. BUT again this is what happens when you write first person. You can't explore other characters without jumping perspective. This is why I prefer THIRD or SECOND person.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

*All images and content on OnyxHikari's Blog are the personal property of OnyxHikari or are readily available on the Internet and believed to be in public domain. Images posted are believed to be published according to the U.S. Copyright Fair Use Act (title 17, U.S. Code.) Copyright © 2011 OnyxHikari (basically don't steal my pictures or content) Blog for entertainment use only.